Saturday, June 7, 2008

And it starts......now!

So, I thought since we are officially going to be packing up the house for our long journey to Pennsylvania, I believe it would be appropriate to start a journal of everything that is happening and let you know about the good, the bad, and the ugly.
First, I'd better let you know where we are headed, to the great state of Pennsylvania where Philadelphia was home to the first computer, Pittsburgh stationed the first baseball stadium, and more importantly, Pennsylvania is home to the Philly cheesesteak sandwich. Fortunately we are not headed to the big city, but to a more rural site in northwest territory, Erie county. The school is named after the Great Lake that resides at it's side, Lake Erie college of Osteopathic Medicine, LECOM for short(Lee-com). In a later post I will describe the difference between an allopathic medical school and an osteopathic medical school, which are both accredited to produce top notch physicians, with slight modifications to the curriculum. My personal reasoning for attending LECOM in particular is the cost of living and the cost of Tuition and fees, which comes in at around 28,000 a year total. This amount does not include the cost of living which will be around 25-30,000. It is a little depressing knowing how much debt we will be incurring, but I am sure, and others that have gone before me, reassure me that it will be worth the financial gamble.
Erie appears to be a great place to live, low crime rate, good L.D.S population, and it sits right on a beautiful lake. The downside is that it is so far from the Fam, 1,826 miles. It will be tough but they will survive, and it is only 4 years if we can somehow return to Utah for residency, but the odds are not lookin' good. Erie county is the same size geographically as Salt Lake City but with only a fifth of the population. We definitely got a killer deal on the house we will be occupying. There is no way you could find the same bargain here in Utah. Today we took a trip to Home Depot to look at swatches, well Cicely looked at swatches while I chased Miles around the store. We are very excited to start working on our new home. We plan to fix-er up real nice.
So the time is short and we have quite the checklist to manage before we leave, I will keep you posted as to what we have checked off. I don't know why I keep saying "you", I think Cicely will be the only person to read this. Anyway, it is a good way to document what we will be going through during Med school. Sorry if it is rather boring, if gets to boring try reading it in a British accent, that seems to always make things much more enjoyable. Just give it a try, you know I'm right.

3 comments:

Cicely said...

Well done. You can cover the stuff that I should be covering, but I don't because 1) I'm too lazy or 2) I'm too lazy.

I love you the most.

Cain said...

I am reading it Dave, you better keep this thing well updated. I don't want you to leave:(

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Deef-
I will try the British accent thing recommended if it gets to that point... but you'd have to write a lot more and include way less references to philly cheese steak. ;)

We miss you guys so much!