Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Arrival....

Well, I am back to report on the changes that have occurred since the last post, and there are many my friend. First, I would like announce that I am an official Erie-ite of Pennsylvania, tomorrow we close on our first home and then it is time to get to work. We are planning on changing a few things in the house and are very excited to see the results of our crazy concoction. My wife won't be coming for another week so there is a lot to get done before she arrives, sand and refinish the floors, paint, tile the bathroom, clean, and buy lots of manly tools. Thankfully my kind parents have joined me in my 2000 mile road trip across this great nation we call the United States and my dad will be assisting me in fixin' up the house. Second, my beautiful wife is finally getting over the prego pukes and is feeling much better. We had an ultra sound done and there was only one fetus so we were thrilled to know that we would not be having double the trouble.
So my last post mentioned Osteopathy and that there exists a difference between the D.O. degree(Doctor of Osteopathy) and the M.D. degree (Medical Doctor), and as far as medical licensing is concerned in the United States they are as equal as can be. So when scope of practice is concerned there is no practice of medicine that a M.D. can do that a D.O. can't do, complete freedom to choose my specialty. The difference lies within the training that you receive during your four years of medical school. Osteopathy, which is taught to all D.O.'s, is an approach to healthcare that emphasizes the role of the musculoskeletal system in health and disease. In most countries osteopathy is a form of complementary medicine, emphasizing a holistic approach and the skilled use of a range of manual and physical treatment interventions in the prevention and treatment of disease. In practice, this most commonly relates to musculoskeletal problems such as back and neck pain. In an allopathic school you would not learn these techniques and this is what sets them apart. Now, Osteopathic Doctors still prescribe medications and use modern surgical techniques in treating disease, they just have a few additional weapons against disease in their arsenal.
Well it is 1 a.m. and I am sleeping at the Marriott so I 'd better get to sleep, I have a big day ahead of me and I need my shut eye. I really miss my wife and chiquito niƱo, it is tougher than I thouht to be without.

2 comments:

Cicely said...

I love your blog. And I love you.
Congrats home owner. We will celebrate on July 6th! I miss you the most.

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Deef-

I love that you're going to be a DO. I think the holistic approach makes a lot more sense... truly. And we're all so proud of you!