Friday, October 3, 2008

Let us catch up


Well a lot has happened since the start of school. In fact, that is one of the reasons I have not updated this blog in such a long time. I most likely do not have time to do this update, and against my better judgment, I will do it anyway.
Anatomy has begun and it is time consuming to say the least. We have exams all the time and pop quizzes frequently. I have never had to read so much, 100 pages here, 100 pages there, and then had to apply it to all to clinical medicine. On top of Anatomy we have under our belts histology, embryology, medical ethics, health care management and PBL clinical cases. We are told that it is around 40 credit hours, yeah, 40. We like to call it the "fire hydrant in the face".
PBL, which stands for problem-based learning, is the "new wave" of medical school curricula. It is essentially a self-propelled and self-motivated system of learning where we discover learning objectives through specially designed clinical scenarios. But don't worry, we have facilitators that help us along the way. Essentially it is like "House" on Fox, but without an angry, old, disabled doc who knows everything. So far, we have been through 4 very interesting cases while studying anatomy as well.
Anyhoo, I need to get off to sleep because my brain tends to require a lot more it these days, go figure. On a side note, Alf is back on late night television, which I am pretty sure is a crime against humanity.

4 comments:

Cicely said...

Uh... That's nice and all, but why didn't you talk about your adorable son or your amazing wife who is carrying your second child?

Just kidding.

(Shifty eyes) Or am I?...

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Um... what i like about DEEF'S blog is that I can read it, four month's later check in, and there's a new post.

huzzah!

Deef... it sounds like a crazy schedule but you're uber smart so I'm sure you're doing great.

In response to Cicely's post...

What about your awesome sister-in-law who is carrying your second child's favorite cousin? hmmm, i am also making shifty eyes...

Cain said...

Hey you ladies, give my bro a break... JK... what about your second child's aunt? Don't you miss me? ha ha.

Emily said...

Dave.. Wow.. and you sound so normal when I talk to you on the phone. I am excited to visit next week.

loves to you..

ps.. I would be the favorite aunt and Miles favorite cousins are running around in heaven..kiddin.